Thursday 11 July 2013

Top 5 Favourite Authors

I feel like I haven't read nearly enough books to have an all-time favourite author. However over my years of reading I've definitely come across some fantastic author's from all manners of genres, five of which really stand out for me as my top five favourite authors. I find these authors just generally amazing and thank them so much for the stories they have created; please note that this list is in no particular order.

Stephen Chbosky: What I love most about Chbosky is his ability to make a character feel so real to you. Whilst reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower, which might I add is one of my all-time favourite books, I felt a great connection to the character's. Chbosky acknowledges that no person is perfect and therefore in order for a reader to connect to a character they have to see that that character also isn't perfect, a feat that is rarely seen within the YA genre.

Lemony Snicket/Daniel Handler: Snicket/Handler is without a doubt one of my favourite childhood authors. The books from A Series of Unfortunate Events hold so much of my childhood and are consequently very nostalgic to me. I was so engrossed by the world he had created for the Baudelaire children and found his stories humorous and just generally enjoyable to read; hopefully I'll move onto some of Handler's adult novels in the near future.

Suzanne Collins: Let's be honest here, you were all expecting to see her here. What really stands out about Collins is her ability to make a book that is categorised to a certain age group appeal to anyone of any age and her triumph of dealing with a manner of complicated and difficult themes in a way that is easy to process and understand. It also wasn't until recently that I realised Collins is actually the author of Gregor the Overlander from The Underland Chronicles and that was easily one of my favourite childhood books, reckon I'm too old to carry on with the series now?

J.K. Rowling: It still shocks me that so many people have yet to lay hands on the Harry Potter series, it just baffles me because Rowling is such an inspiring author. I praise her use of imagination and her beautiful writing style as well as being an all round amazing and fluent storyteller. If it wasn't for Rowling then I probably wouldn't be the avid reader that I am today because she is the author that really got me into reading, I mean imagine a world without Harry Potter.

Katy McGarry: If you've yet to pick up a McGarry book then I pity you because you truly are missing out on such raw writing talent. I find McGarry's novels, such as Pushing the Limits, so captivating because they're so poetically and beautifully written. Her stories build an emotional connection with me that I've had little experience with with other authors. I cannot wait for whatever she writes next.

There are plenty of other authors I adore but at this moment these are the five authors that really stand out for me. Be sure to let me know who your favourite authors are in the comments section.

0 comments: