Friday 28 June 2013

Weekend Reads #2

I had a pretty successful read last weekend and completed The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey. Overall I found it an alright book, it just wasn't what I expected it to be, it was too character driven with a lack of action for me to really enjoy it: to view my full review click here. I also started and completed Before I Die by Jenny Downham and I loved it so much, it's such a beautiful read and it's definitely a book I'll read time and time again: to view my full review click here. However my hopes to continue with The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath went down the drain as I'm still on chapter 2 but I figure I'll get round to picking it back up.. eventually.

This weekend I've only tasked myself with one book and that is The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. The book follows the life of a teenage girl called Clary Fray who witnesses a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the murdered body disappears into thin air and it's hard for her to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing, not even a smear of blood, to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy? That question ultimately leads to Clary's journey of learning who she really is and the history of her family after she discovers a connection between the sudden disappearance of her mother, the three mysterious teenagers, called Shadowhunters, and an attack she receives from an alleged demon.

In all honesty I thought I had been done with the fantasy world of vampires and werewolves but this book (which is the first in a 6 part series) has received so much hype and critical acclaim that I figured I may as well give it a shot, not to mention that the trailer for the film adaption looks pretty good.

Even though I'm only tackling this book this weekend chances are I won't finish it by Sunday as it's quite a hefty read and I'm currently only on chapter 2, but I guess we'll see how it goes. Be sure to let me know what book(s) you're tackling this weekend in the comment section!

0 comments: