Wednesday 19 March 2014

The Maze Runner - Trailer Discussion

Synopsis: When the doors of the lift crank open, the only thing Thomas can remember is his first name. But he's not alone. He's surrounded by boys who welcome him to the Glade, an encampment at the centre of a bizarre and terrible maze.

Like Thomas, the Gladers don't know why or how they came to be there, or what's happened to the world outside. All they know is that every morning when the walls slide back, they will risk everything to find out..

Alas! After several months of waiting and suffering from the pain of the movie release date moving from February 2014 to September 2014, the first official trailer for The Maze Runner was released on Monday and I'm pleasantly surprised by just how incredible it looks! I'll admit, despite being a massive fan of the series, I had my doubts about how the film would turn out. I'm not really sure why, I just had a feeling that I'd be disappointed, I couldn't be more wrong however.

What really stood out for me in the trailer was the effects and CGI, I mean I'm actually quite blown away by how good they are and how Fox have perfectly captured the look of the Maze; it's everything I imagined it would be and more. Although we don't see a lot of it, the inside of the Maze also looks really fantastic so I'm almost glad that the release date of the film was pushed back because I think if they didn't have that extra time then the setting wouldn't be as strong as it is. What was really great mind is how terrifying the Grievers seem. When reading the book I found myself not particularly frightened by them, but I can just tell they're going to scare the socks off of me in the film, which is great.

I was particularly excited by Dylan O'Brien's portrayal of Thomas. I was aware that O'Brien was a good actor, but it wasn't until Season 3B of Teen Wolf that I realised just how much of an amazing actor he is so I have such high hopes for his portrayal of Thomas and from what is shown in the trailer it's evident that he's going to do the role so much justice. Saying that however I was quite disappointed by the lack of footage of Kaya Scodelario as Teresa but she definitely looks the part so I just hope she can deliver the character as a whole, which I'm sure she can. In fact, the cast as a whole is fantastic - I'd go as far as to say that I don't think I've ever been so content with a cast.

The other thing I'm disappointed about is the fact that Tom and Teresa's telepathy in the books won't be present in the film. Yes, I understand that not every element of a book can be carried into a film but I just feel that their telepathy is such a vital part to the story, particularly within the first book when Tom first hears Teresa and revelations about how the Gladers came into the Maze start to creep into the story.

On the whole though it does seem as if they've stuck as close as possible to the book and have focused more on pleasing fans of the books than focusing more on those that haven't in order to increase audiences and box office revenue. I just hope that Fox put a lot of work into its marketing of the film so it can have the success it deserves, and so we can see the rest of the series hit the big screen.

Be sure to let me know in the comments what you thought of the trailer! And, if you haven't seen it yet, simply click here to do so. I give the trailer ★★★★

0 comments: